Paul Hersey and Ken Blanchard gave a terrific definition regarding management and leadership of their e-book, “skills management of Organizational Behavior”, which help us better understand the qualifications of management talents:
· Management is operating with and via human beings and groups to accomplish organizational goals.
· Leadership is influencing human conduct, irrespective of the aim.
John P. Kotter, in his article “What Leaders Really Do” (Harvard Business Review), gave an equally interesting definition which shed an extraordinary perception on management talents:
· Management is set dealing with complexity; it brings order and predictability to a scenario. But this is now not sufficient: to succeed, businesses must be capable of adapting to change.
· Leadership is ready gaining knowledge of how to deal with fast trade.
The difference between managers and leaders
Kotter spells out three basic variations among leaders and managers:
1. Managers plan and budget. Leaders set course.
2. Managers prepare and personnel. Leaders align people through speaking their imaginative and prescient at all ranges.
3. Managers provide manipulate and remedy issues. Leaders provide motivation and suggestion.
The distinction between control and leadership
The distinction between control and management capabilities may be summarized in brief as follows:
· Management is ready to exercise manage. It is about planning, rewarding and directing humans, schooling the personnel, retaining structures and techniques, tracking the schedules, and nurturing coordination a few of the employees. Management abilities focus to make certain that systems would not spoil down and companies function successfully.
· Leadership is ready for dealing with trade. It is set formulating and speaking imaginative and prescient, inspiring and empowering human beings, education the personnel, considering possibilities, looking for possibilities, and cultivating synergy among the personnel. Leadership skills focus to make certain that groups have a course or boom.
Transform Yourself to Become a Great Leader